ISLA Junior Lifeguard Scholarship 2013
The International Surf Lifesaving Association is pleased to announce that we will continue our Jr. Lifeguard scholarship for 2013.
Benefits of a Jr. Guard Program:
- Builds self-esteem
- Improves social skills
- Promotes physical Fitness
- Encourages discipline
- Provides the tools to accomplish goals and conquer challenges
- Encourages leadership
- Fosters community service
- Expands knowledge of ocean
- First aid and Emergency Response capabilities
This scholarship is designed to introduce the world of lifeguarding to someone who has dreams of a career in Marine Safety, Oceanography, or Marine Biology and who would benefit from experiencing a Jr. Lifeguard Program. The award of this scholarship is intended to provide the Jr. Guard experience to a child that would normally not participate in such a program, due to his/her location of residence and financial cost. The purpose of this scholarship is to encourage achievement of a stated goal, whether as a lifeguard or in another ocean related field of study. There is no prerequisite knowledge of lifeguarding required for this scholarship, just enthusiasm and the desire to learn. The ISLA Jr. Lifeguard Scholarship is an tuition award in the amount of up to $805.00.
Scholarship Applications due: April 10, 2013
5 Finalists Announced: April 11, 2013
Winner(s) Announced: April 15th, 2013*
*At least one scholarship will be awarded. The number of scholarship winners will be dependent on the amount of money fundraised on razoo.
1. Applicants must have their parents or legal guardians permission.
2. Applicants must be a between the ages of 9 and 17 years of age at the time of application.
3. Applicants must live at least 12 miles away from their nearest beach/lake.*
4. Applicants parents must show proof of financial hardship (2011 IRS Tax filings under 50K*).
5. Applicants must submit a 1-2 min video and digital photo of themselves.
5. Videos will be accepted via any electronic format (youtube, original file etc). Picture and link to video (if on youtube) is sent via email to : email@example.com with [Name] and ’2013 ISLA Jr. Lifeguard Scholarship Application’ in the subject line.
6. To be considered for the 2013 ISLA Jr. Guard Scholarship video, digital picture, and Tax forms must be submitted to ISLA by March 22, 2013.
* Priority is given to applicants who meet the exact requirements, if no applicant meets the exact needs we’ll chose another applicant that best matches the eligibility requirements
The videos will be scored by the ISLA Board of Directors based on a point system. The following topics must be discussed in order to obtain maximum point value.
- The video must clearly delineate the applicant’s plan for pursuing a career in an ocean related field of study as well as reasons and vision for becoming a role model for ISLA.
- The video should also describe the motivation and inspiration for involvement in Marine Safety.
- Any achievements and participation in other organizations and related events should be discussed in the video.
- Financial need and how the scholarship would improve your ability to achieve his/her career goals should be covered in the video.
Applicant and Awardee’s Responsibility’s:
- The applicant/awardee, and parents must allow ISLA to utilize the submitted video for ISLA marketing purposes.
- The applicant/awardee, and parents must allow ISLA to take photos/and or video to document their experience for ISLA marketing purposes.
- The scholarship winner(s) must also submit at the end of summer one 1-min video summarizing how the scholarship helped him/her, what he/she learned and how they can continue to work towards their life goals.
Last summer ISLA documented the 2012 scholarships winners experience, please take a look at the videos here:
The ISLA Junior Lifeguard Experience – Part 1 of 4.
The ISLA Junior Lifeguard Experience – Part 2 of 4.
The ISLA Junior Lifeguard Experience – Part 3 of 4.
The ISLA Junior Lifeguard Experience – Part 4 of 4.
WANT TO DONATE TO THE 2013 ISLA SCHOLARSHIP FUND?
ISLA is currently fundraising to award as many scholarships as possible. If you or your organization would like to donate to this year’s scholarship fund please visit:
ALSO: This year, Huntington Beach City Junior Lifeguard instructor and ISLA Director Pete Eich, is running a Junior Guard Prep course. For information on this course, click here!