The National Drowning Prevention Alliance (NDPA) is having their annual drowning prevention symposium on March 13-15, 2013 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Most of the major private drowning prevention foundations in the United States will be in attendance. This symposium is the perfect opportunity for ISLA to share its mission, announce future projects, and network with foundations and potential sponsors. Due to ISLA’s limited resources we would normally not be able to attend the NDPA Symposium.
This year is different! Our very own ISLA President Henry Reyes has been chosen as one of the ten finalists for the “2013 NDPA Lifesaver of the Year Award”! The contest is being held on facebook and the lifesaver with the most votes wins. Voters can vote once per day until the contest ends on December 31, 2012. The winner will be honored at the NDPA Symposium with all travel expenses paid by the NDPA sponsors.
ISLA needs your vote to win!
Here’s how to vote:
- Follow on the link: http://www.facebook.com/DrownAlliance/app_285900441511613
- Click on the “like” button in the upper right hand side (Note: You need to like the page in order for information to appear on the screen)
- Click “vote” next to the lifesaver of your choice (ie. Henry Reyes, ISLA President) and a pop-up will appear.
- Click the “go to app” button. (This allows the application and insures the integrity of the voter)
- Now that you casted your vote click “Share” to help spread the word and encourage others to vote. (Note: you can vote once every 24 hrs until December 31, 2012)
Henry Reyes is the President and co founder of the International Surf Lifesaving Association (ISLA). ISLA is a nonprofit organization working to prevent drowning. To date ISLA volunteers have worked in 7 countries and have conducted 10 lifeguard training courses, certified over 100 lifeguards, performed over 1,700 lifesaving rescues, preventative actions, and medical aids, donated over $12,000 of rescue equipment, and awarded over $1,000 in educational scholarships.